To the content To the main menu To the contact informations

Fillial St. John the Baptist church Kleinsöll

A church dating back to an ancient settlement

Pfarrkirche Kleinsöll-Breitenbach | © Pfarre Breitenbach Pfarrkirche Kleinsöll-Breitenbach | © Pfarre Breitenbach

The St. John the Baptist church in Kleinsöll was built on a hill on ancient Angerberg settlement grounds. Originally, the church also had a cemetery, which is documented as early as the 9th/10th century. The tower is constructed in Romanesque masonry. The first written reference of a place of worship on the site of the present building dates back to 1315.

It is assumed that the current filial church was built by master builder, Hans from Breitenbach towards the end of the 15th century.

A barrel vault finally replaced the wooden ceiling in the 17th century.

The centre of the church is the neo-Gothic high altar, which shows the baptism of Christ.

A bombing raid towards the end of the Second World War in 1945 destroyed much of the building. The damage was finally repaired during restoration work in 1950. During this large-scale restoration exquisite frescoes, which adorn the beautiful diamond vault and date back to the original construction were discovered in the choir.

From April to the end of September, church services are held on selected Thursdays at 7:00 p.m. Please see notice for dates.

Open during the day from April – end of September; closed in the winter months.

  • Daily
    00:00 - 00:00


St. Johannes Filialkirche
Dr. Piotr Stachiewicz
Ortsteil Kleinsöll
6252 Breitenbach

This might also interest you

Pfarrkirche in Breitenbach | © Alpbachtal Seenland Tourismus | Bernhard Berger

St. Peter Parish Church